ITMI Certified Tour Director / Guide & NOLS Wilderness First Responder
Languages: English (fluent), Spanish (basic), German (basic)
Gateway City: Portland, Oregon
I’m passionate about helping people discover the outdoors so they can better protect the natural world. I love guiding, advocating for wild places, and discovering stories that drive positive change. In my work I listen, smile, and value diplomacy, yet I’m also tenacious, persistent, and gravitate towards action. I’m an artist who enjoys building relationships that directly improves our world and the lives of others.
▸ Contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org
▸ View my Trip Reports
This map shows areas where I have lived, traveled or toured. For travel and tours, I have included areas where I have spent at least one week learning about the local sights and culture – the story of a place.
Tour Director / Guide Experience
Oregon – Road Scholar (3x, 6 days) 2017
Guided an intergenerational science and nature tour with animal visits, developed tracking skills, and learned how injured wildlife is rehabilitated. Included: beachcombing, behind the scenes at the Oregon Zoo, birds of prey at the Chintimini Wildlife Center, marine biology at the Hatfield Marine Science Center, visiting the White Wolf Sanctuary and exploring the Jackson Botton Wetlands Preserve.
Oregon – Obsidians (4 years, trips of 1 to 3 days)
Develop and lead interpretive outdoor trips: remote old-growth hikes, Crater Lake National Park extended weekends, sensitive habitat restoration, trail maintenance, Backpacker’s Rendezvous annual celebrations, museum visits, moonrise hikes, PDX trips
California – Cosmos Tours (2x, 5 days)
Motorcoach trips along the coast from LAX to SFO
California – GlyphGuy Adventure Travel (2 years, trips of 1 to 3 days)
Organized & guided kayaking Elkhorn Slough, backpacking Point Reyes & Channel Islands National Parks, hiking Pinnacles National Park, waterfall hikes in Big Basin, walking San Francisco’s Barbary Coast Trail, hiking Angel Island, and whale watching
Familiarization Tours / Destination Knowledge
California – San Francisco, Los Angeles, Point Reyes, Yosemite, Lassen, Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Mojave, Channel Islands, Napa, Redwood Highway, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, 17-Mile Drive
Oregon / Washington / British Columbia – Hiked 100-miles on PCT, Crater Lake, Portland, Oregon Caves, Oregon’s Coast, Mount St. Helens, Vancouver, Victoria
Texas / Oklahoma / Arkansas / Missouri – Ozarks, eastern Oklahoma, San Antonio, Padre Island (met Ila Fox Loetscher, the “Turtle Lady” and founder of Sea Turtle, Inc, a rehabilitation organization),
Europe – Austria’s Tirol (6x), northern Italy (2x), Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Netherlands
Mexico – Yucatan Penninsula (Chichén Itzá, Cancún, Tulum, Isla Mujeres)
Jamaica – northern coast, (met Lisa Salmon the “Bird Lady” of Rocklands Wildlife Sanctuary)
Event & Meeting Planning
City Club of Eugene – part-time Executive Director (2015-2017)
The City Club is the premier civic affairs symposium for Oregon’s second largest metro area. I organized and facilitated 45 weekly events (one per week) for audiences attendance between 50 and 140.
Cisco Systems – Event Coordinator – (3-month contract)
Assisted the project manager to implement Cisco’s annual Global Sales Meeting for 1K attendees.
Houseparent – Sanborn Park Hostel – Saratoga, CA (2 years)
2+ years as Houseparent and point of contact for 20,000 visitors. Oversaw daily operations of the 39-bed nonprofit. Recruited and managed volunteers, oversaw wedding events, led interpretive tours, and coordinated facility rentals.
Project, Marketing, & Development
Red Panda Network – Development Consultant
– Donor relations, gift processing, grant support, communications, and social media marketing
– Salesforce and Classy CRM integration
Centrify – Marketing Manager: Automation, Events, Database, & Identity (7 years)
– Automation & Funnel Optimization: Lead generation and scoring, A/B tested web pages, created Salesforce & Marketo landing pages.
– Events & Operations: Managed up to 35 national and regional trade shows and events per quarter
– Database & Email Communications: Oversaw nurturing activities: campaign automation, lead scoring, reporting, emails creation
– Identity: Managed final creative products and oversaw production of data sheets, white papers, newsletters, brochures, and oversaw trademarks
GlyphGuy Backpacks (founder and owner, 10 years)
– Designed and manufactured child-sized backpacks to grow the youth-in-nature market.
– Provided 2400 backpacks to the NPS Junior Ranger program and an additional 5K to Forest Service, nature centers, and outdoor programs.
The Nature Conservancy Volunteer – Communication & Outreach Services (1 year)
Designed e-newsletters for regional mailings to inform and grow volunteerism.
Oregon Wild Conservation & Outreach Intern (<1 year)
Supported staff on outreach events, advocacy research, and program assistance.
- International Tour Management Institute, San Francisco – Certified Tour Director / Guide
- National Outdoor Leadership School, Wilderness First Responder
- Bachelor’s Degree, International Relations, SFSU
- Certified Interpretive Guide, National Association for Interpretation
- Oregon State University, Oregon Master Naturalist Certificate
Creative: Adobe Suite (Illustrator, Dreamweaver, InDesign, Photoshop)
Databases & CRM: Salesforce.com, Marketo, iCentera CMS, SharePoint, Neon
OS & Tools: Constant Contact, BaseCamp, BBEdit, FTP, Mac, MailChimp, MS Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word), QuickBooks, Unix/Linux, WebEx, Windows OS, WordPress
Social: Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter
GIS: Introductory Arc GIG
Personal Interests / Hobbies
Hiking, walking, backpacking, gardening, Native American studies, history, archaeology, paleontology, promoting a healthy outdoor community